Better Beginnings provides every Kindergarten aged child with a free reading pack.
Your reading pack includes:
- A beautiful Australian children’s book
- A fun activity to accompany the book
- A green library bag
- An information booklet for parents / caregivers about books and reading.
Schools are required to register for the program each year and teachers do this through the Better Beginnings website. The reading packs are provided to the school by the local public library.
If your child is home-schooled, you can contact your local library to arrange their free reading packs. You can find your nearest library using the Find a Library.
What does the public library offer families?
- Free membership and access to books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, online movies and activities
- Family programs such as Rhyme Time and Story Time
- School holiday activities
- Many libraries have Better Beginnings Discovery Backpacks, which contain puppets and picture books for families to borrow.
In addition to your free reading packs your local public library may also have Discovery Backpacks for you to borrow. Discovery Backpacks are a free resource for all Western Australian families. Each backpack contains a number of resources including books and complimentary early learning activities to encourage parents and caregivers to Read, Talk, Sing, Write and Play with their child every day. Check with your local library for availability.